Thursday, March 2, 2017

Low 30

Easter update: A strong start the first week, and then we all got sick. None of this happened.

I had a whiny, somewhat morose post brewing in my head yesterday about Lent my thoughts on God, and why I keep finding myself thinking about these things. {"These matters that with myself I too much discuss..." There, got it out of my system.} However, I was in a whiny, somewhat morose mood and decided it would be unproductive to write it out and feel bad for myself. In the very least, it seemed like too much pressure to close read and then quote the poem that is this blog's namesake, make grandiose Lenten plans only to fail at them 2 weeks in. 

I'll get to all of that later. Probably. 

Here's what I am doing for Lent. 

Fasting
I am doing what I like to call a Low 30. No sugar, wheat, or dairy. The first few days go to prove what a weakling I've become in terms of discipline. All I want to do is have a coffee with cream and sugar (it's hardly worth drinking otherwise, so effectively: yes, I'm also giving up coffee) and you'd think it'd be easy enough to tell yourself no and have it be that. 

Wrong. The flesh is weak. 

My husband and I are doing this fast for non-religious reasons. It's just time for a reset and Lent is a handy mechanism. Isn't March a perfect time for asceticism? Everything sucks anyway.

Almsgiving
Actually donating money, and making a plan for doing it month after month. Also going to try and volunteer once, with the group I used to be involved with that makes a hot meal for the homeless every Sunday.

Nothing like writing out your almsgiving goal to make you realize what an ungenerous Scrooge you've become.

Prayer
If I were a good believer, I would have so many ideas. Liturgy of the hours? Lectio divina? Read the catechism? They all sound fascinating. 

Yet went I actually try to do it...

Like I said, I'll get to all of that. 

{Because I do not hope to know again
The infirm glory of the positive hour
Because I do not think
Because I know I shall not know
The one veritable transitory power...}

{It really is a perfect poem.}

So here's my spiritual practice for Lent: I'm going to go to church.

I am going to go to the same church for all of Lent. 

I am going to make an honest effort to sit there and understand. 

I am not going to pretend that I am above instruction.

I am not going to pretend that this action makes me a better person. 

{Can you tell I have tried this before?}

But I'm writing it here, so now the internet knows. 

Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment