Friday, March 9, 2018

Five For Friday - 3/9/18

It is March. In multiple Native American tongues, this time of year is known as "the starving time." This is a time of year where I both crave the sunlight and get annoyed if it taunts me too much.  A friend reminded me last night that January through March is for surviving. I needed that reminder.

Here's what's been getting me through: Not drinking. Reading fiction. Putting my phone away when I play with my kid. Washing down 5,000 IUs of vitamin D with orange juice as I make breakfast. Pilates.

And in the evenings, zapped of energy but unwilling to go to bed at 8pm, I watch comedy on the Internet until I memorize it, and then quote it to my husband when the occasion presents itself.

1. Maria Bamford

Way back in the early aughts, I remember catching her stand-up routines on Comedy Central.  Like the Bammer herself, her routines have aged well, like a hilarious and funky wine that does voice impersonations.

Her genius is subtle. On "Lady Dynamite", her flashbacks to Minnesota are accompanied by the lighting adjusting to a perfect shade of "Duluth Blue" -- the exact grey, sad-sack hue that I associate with weekend afternoons in February.

Don't ask her, Ask Her Mom! 


Maybe you know him as Gayle.

Maybe you've seen Paint Nite. (And then watched it over and over again.)

I want to live inside his head.

3. NOT A WOLF

Twitter is a cesspool, which is why clever minds flourish there if they don't take themselves too seriously. I wish I could explain why I love this account.

4. McSweeney's Internet Tendency

It's hard to find fault with a website who publishes articles titled "Hello, I'm the Internet, and You're Parenting All Wrong." And with that came the realization that there's a giant arm of media that seems to resonate with my experience because lo! My peers are now in charge of producing the media. Just wait until we get our hands on the governments.

5. Wizard People, Dear Reader

I'm at the point in my life where I enjoy this more than the actual Harry Potter series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment